Hundreds of nationalists commemorate the 71st anniversary of the siege of Budapest in Székesfehérvár

Monday, February 8, 2016

The Simon Wiesenthal Center strongly condemns the 71st anniversary of the siege of Budapest commemoration service in Székesfehérvár.

The guest of honor of the commemoration service Waffen SS veteran Klaus Grothjahn couldn't attend the service due to health reasons.

The commemoration service was organized by the HVIM, Betyársereg and other nationalist groups.

Police action wasn't necessary during the event reported police in a statement issued after the event.

"On the night of 11 February, some 28,000 German and Hungarian troops began to stream north-westwards away from Castle Hill. They moved in three waves. Thousands of civilians were with each wave. Entire families, pushing prams, trudged through the snow and ice. Unfortunately for the would-be escapees, the Soviets awaited them in prepared positions around the Széll Kálmán tér area.

Troops, along with the civilians, used heavy fog to their advantage. The first wave managed to surprise the waiting Soviet soldiers and artillery; their sheer numbers allowed many to escape. The second and third waves were less fortunate. Soviet artillery and rocket batteries bracketed the escape area, with deadly results that killed thousands. Despite heavy losses, five to ten thousand people managed to reach the wooded hills northwest of Budapest and escape towards Vienna, but only 600–700 German soldiers reached the main German lines from Budapest. Roughly a third of these soldiers belonged to the "Feldhernhalle" Panzergrenadier Division, and 170 to the Waffen-SS. The number of Hungarian escapees was around 80 (44 civilians, 25 Arrow Cross Party militiamen, and 11 men in military uniform (including three students and one policeman).

As a result of the fall of Budapest, "...32,000 ethnic Germans from within Hungary were arrested and transported to the Soviet Union as forced laborers. In some villages, the entire adult population were taken to labor camps in the Donets Basin. Many died there as a result of hardship and ill-treatment. Overall, more than 500,000 Hungarians were transported to the Soviet Union (including between 100,000 and 170,000 Hungarian ethnic Germans)" – wikipedia

Fehér County Police Headquarters reporting that two criminal proceedings were laid in relation to the commemoration service. Police investigating unknown individuals for denial of national-socialist and communist crimes, as well as for public use of totalitarian symbols.

( –