Four soldiers killed in blast at Hungarian firing range

Friday, July 1, 2016

Four soldiers were killed and one injured in an explosion at a military firing range in eastern Hungary on Friday, officials said.

All five victims were bomb disposal experts, prosecutors' spokeswoman Andrea Nagy said in confirming the deaths first reported by state media.

She said police were investigating the cause of the blast though no criminal activity was suspected. State media described the explosion as an accident.

(Reporting by Gergely Szakacs; Editing by Mark Heinrich)

reuters.com

* * * * *

Apparently, the explosion took place while bomb disposal experts tried to disassemble a World War II bomb near Nádudvar.

Defense Minister István Simicskó held a press conference today telling to the press that the soldiers died when tried to disassemble a 250-kilo World War II bomb.

The soldiers declared heroic dead, and will be honored with the "Hazért Érdemjel", which is the highest honor the minister of defense can give.

Chief of Staff Tibor Benkő told journalists that the soldiers were all men in their thirties, and as a result of the tragedy five children left without a father.

The exact circumstances of the explosion are still under investigation, much of the detail is unclear. Everybody is baffled by the explosion because the bomb had already been disarmed, the detonator was removed from it; the bomb squad were all experienced and skilled professionals.

Dear Reader,


The comment section of this blog has been shut down due to the activity of a nasty agent provocateur who has been targeting this website for quite some time.


Have a nice day!