Pages

Hungary dismisses top EU court adviser’s statement on migrant quota challenge

Wednesday, July 26, 2017


Hungary’s government said on Wednesday that a statement by an adviser to the top EU court dismissing a Hungarian and Slovak challenge to the bloc’s migrant quotas was a political statement which is short on legal arguments.

“The main elements of the statement are political, which are practically used to disguise the fact that there are no legal arguments in it,” Pal Volner, state secretary of the Justice Ministry was cited as saying by the state news agency MTI.

Earlier on Wednesday, the European Court of Justice’s Advocate General Yves Bot rejected the procedural arguments presented by Bratislava and Budapest that obligatory quotas were unlawful. A final ECJ ruling is expected after the summer break. (rt.com - Reuters)

EU court advised to reject Hungary, Slovakia refugee case

An adviser to the European Court of Justice says the court should dismiss lawsuits filed by Hungary and Slovakia challenging a European Council decision that the countries have to mandatorily take in hundreds of asylum-seekers. Hungary, Slovakia, Poland and Romania had voted against the 2015 decision establishing a temporary plan to relocate 120,000 migrants. Under the plan, Hungary would have to temporarily take in 1,294 asylum-seekers and Slovakia, 902.

Advocate General Yves Bot rejected arguments from Slovakia and Hungary regarding the legality of the relocation plan, saying it “helps relieve the considerable pressure on the asylum systems of Italy and Greece.” The relocation effort has had only limited success so far. Bot’s proposal issued Wednesday in Luxembourg is non-binding. (rt.com - AP)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Attention!
Comments using obscene language, or comments calling for hate and violence will be deleted.